Fun facts about guinea pigs
8 FUN FACTS about guinea pig
- Guinea pig pups are born with fur and their eyes open.
- Guinea pigs have 14 toes—4 on each front foot and 3 on each back foot.
- When excited guinea pigs may repeatedly perform little hops in the air, also known as “popcorning”
- Guinea pigs don’t need to sleep for long periods. Instead they prefer to take short naps throughout the day and night
- Although they are called “Guinea Pigs”, they are not closely related to pigs, but named for their short, robust body & piggish appearance. “Guinea” refers to Guyana, a country within their natural range.
- The Incas domesticated Guinea pigs more than 3,000 years ago
- In Germany, guinea pigs have been called meerschweinchen, which translates to “little sea pigs.”
- It’s a myth that guinea pigs and rabbits can be kept together. Not only will rabbits bully guinea pigs, they have very different needs. Rabbits can also carry diseases which can be very harmful to guinea pigs.